Sunday, April 10, 2011

Staying in A/C is Not Ideal for Travelling

Shanghai was hot, scorching hot. 

just another intersection near our hotel.

The atmosphere wasn't something I'm used to, and I felt like the people were constantly invading your personal space. Even if they aren't physically stepping into it, I sometimes thought they were intruding my bubble with their voice. It's strange, I can't explain it. I'm not even claustrophobic. I think I'm too used to the quieter ambiance of Japan.

the heart of shopping in Shanghai at XuJiaHui (徐家匯)

I don't like the fact that I'm not starting positively. I was also tired from weeks of travelling, I think. Anyway, the French Concession is the heart of shopping in Shanghai. I wasn't really in the mood for shopping, but there are lots of stores. The large malls house all the international brand names you would find elsewhere. I found those malls... boring. I didn't see anything interesting.

Oh, and the mall famous for selling electronics: if you know anything about electronics, don't bother? I met with an overwhelming number of sales people trying to sell me stuff. Uhm... yea, I'm being negative again. =(

The heat also kept me from spending too much time outdoors. I wanted so much to walk down Fu Xing Road because, according to travelwiki, it's beautiful. Actually, I can't remember whether I was walking on Heng Shan Road or Fu Xing Road... argh, I'm posting earlier next time?

over exposed photo of St. Ignatius Cathedral (徐家匯天主教堂)

Closing off this pointless post with the photo of this church. I don't think it was open for visits when we were there. It's an extremely old church that was once claimed by the Chinese government. It has since been open again for public services. According to Wikipedia, it was built in the early 1900's by Jesuits. I know very little about the history of European travellers going into Shanghai, so I have little to share. What's interesting is that the shape of the church grounds is actually in the shape of a cross.

If you wish to enter the high and mighty gates of the cathedral, you may have to check visiting hours.

By fishii with 1 comment

1 comments:

In Shanghai, it's best to look at the buildings, with the blending of Chinese and Western culture... I don't think there's much to enjoy if you aim to shop there.

Post a Comment