Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Water Water All Around

and not a drop to drink! My journey to Venezia was an amusing one. I had no idea the trains would be so full that I can't get tickets for the time that I needed... So I bought a ticket for the 5PM train, but hopped on the 11AM one. I'm a rebel. Luckily I didn't get checked, the operator was only a few rows away when we arrived at the terminus station 2 hours away.

And what shall greet me upon my first step out of the station? A gigantic Geox billboard. I literally stopped in my tracks at that second. I couldn't stop paying attention to these billboards from the moment I saw the photo with the Hyundai billboard... Travel buddy!!! Alas, the blues of the canals were awe-inspiring under the warm winter sun. At that moment I felt like I understood why Venice is such a popular destination.

I'm lamenting the fact that I don't have a photo of the billboard.



It's the return of the panorama (near Piazzale Roma).

I didn't stay in Venice proper, rather, I stayed about an hour away by Vaporetto (Venetian water buses) on the island of Lido. On the ride to Lido, there is lots to see, many a beautiful scene to capture. With the sea breeze blowing, it quickly got chilly. So note to whoever goes in the winter, make sure you bring enough to wear! It was nothing compared to the blizzards that southern Netherlands was facing at that time, though.

Many of these bridges around town, that's what happens when your city is built on canals.

People don't drive cars, they drive... these things. What are they in English?

Something strange is happening here too.

Then I got to Lido, where I realised that Google Map was lying to me. I walked in the wrong direction for about 10 minutes, then stopped for directions to realise that... well, I was going in the wrong direction. Wasn't too difficult from there to get to the Bed and Breakfast, though. Was a small home, cute little place, really. Again, no photos. Where was my brain?

Along the coast of Lido

Trying to artsy fartsy, lol.

Main street of Lido, short and lined with shops and restaurants.

Top of a cute home on Lido under the warmth of the early winter sun.

I totally did not have enough time in Venice to see much, only had enough to take a leisurely stroll around Lido. Enjoyed Lido, though, it gives me a feeling of being a laid back suburb surrounded by water. Boats dot the canals that almost seem like a parking in front of each house. It's a strange and wonderful sight in its own right. The blues of the canals took away some of my homesickness though the company of my travel buddy was still thoroughly missed. Let's try to do it again!

Ok, the backlighting makes the boats difficult to see, but they're there!

Oh so blue~~~ the colours are absolutely gorgeous.

Colourful buildings such as these make me happy.

This marks the end of my Christmas Tour around Italia, and pretty much the end of my trip around Europe. I've definitely left yet another part of me behind in the beautiful architecture and scenery of Italy, and a whole lot more of me is left in wonderful Maastricht. Just waiting for the day when I get to revisit.

Thank you for joining me on this journey. I'll blog about Whistler briefly next, then go back and record parts of my summer that I've missed (Shanghai and the Expo). 

By fishii with 2 comments

2 comments:

How come everything looks so beautiful in your pictures????? They almost make me want to book a ticket and head to Venice right away...

haha, took me a second to realise which Hyundai billboard you were referring to, but yes, how can I forget?! lol. Do you even have a photo of the Hyundai board?

To be honest, I think the photos you took and put up are a bit more attractive than the billboards eh? It looks sooo cool! Would not think it was winter judging by the pics!

Post a Comment