Monday, November 29, 2010

The Unknown World - Budapest

Starting on a slightly unrelated note, I wanted to show you some degree of insanity that exists within me.


This is a screenshot of a travel app I use online... I think there might be something not quite right with my head, or just a complete disregard for my grades and bank account. Having said that, I have a reading open beside me (not that I've been too successful at reading it).

I've decided to lump all the eastern Europe posts together because I don't think there will be many...

So Hungary! Prior to this, Hungary only really brought up a few things in my head: Budapest, Eastern Europe, Bela Bartok, and Franz Liszt. Oh, and goulash. Other than that, it was simply a big question mark. Even now, I can't say I know much about Hungary at all, but I've seen a little of Budapest and can say that I have learned something.

I arrived Saturday morning to a snow covered Budapest. Having missed both cold waves in Vancouver in the recent years, I really have not experienced much truly cold weather. This made me realize how cold the world could be. Anyway, I've resorted to wool mittens, wool socks, and a toque on top of my head with a wool sweater. Yea, I have no abilities to withstand the cold.

no, my panoramic addiction hasn't been cured yet, how could you tell?

There was a super funky church / cathedral that's built into the hill-thing. It's really cool looking, but I couldn't be bothered to pay and go inside. Went up the hill for a gorgeous view of Budapest instead. 

Actually, it's only the Pest side... Buda is right below me.

Walked around quite a bit and saw a few attractions before sunset, which was positively gorgeous against the white snow.

Citadel against the sunset.



The next day, there wasn't so much sun, and it was still cold. Walked around lots again, what's there to say? I decided that I liked Prague better, but this decision could have been highly influenced by the difference in weather.

I need to actually get off my butt and get the map so I know the names of these places...

Architecture-wise, it's a lovely city. I was told by a stranger I met at Starbucks who works for Campus Crusade in the Eastern European region that May would have been a better time to visit. The nice lady even gave me her business card so I can call her the next time I visit. Wonder when that would be. It was really cool to meet someone from the States who works for C4C so randomly, though!


The Basilica


Day 3: Wonderful weather, no travelling partner. @ Hero Square

Travel buddy bernZ left Budapest early, so day 3 was spent on my own, giving me a great degree of freedom! (Not saying I wouldn't have had it before) Went inside St. Stephan's Basilica, then to the Opera House, wandered out of town to Hero Square, Vajadahunyad Castle, went to the Parliament... then decided the weather was seriously too cold (my red hands being the evidence of the weather) and returned to the hostel for an early night.

Left out lots of photos because I'm too lazy to process them. Back to my (attempt at) reading. Please excuse the lack of detail... lumping 3 days into one post was harder than I thought.

By fishii with 2 comments

2 comments:

The Basilica looks marvelous! I wonder how you can fit all those travelling plan into your schedule, though... (and not to mentioned, BUDGET!!!)

I MUST COMMENT!
^^
Dad says you need to put your face in front of the lens sometime, not behind it >< DO EEETTTTTTTT :P
Yes, I want photos of YOU in the picture too :P
those pictures look so boring without my sister in them ><

Post a Comment