Sunday, September 19, 2010

Brussels

fishii went to Brussels on Saturday with a friend! The first train was early so I had to wake up at 530AM... I was really tired by the end of the day!


The transfer here took nearly an hour, so we popped across the street for breakfast... or hot chocolate for me. It was quite cold... Biking to the station froze my fingers. Must get gloves...



Hot chocolate with delicious fresh cream in cone. Amazing.

Second transit point at Liège. Belgium is wonderful architecture land! 

We then hopped on the wrong train by accident. This one is the expensive one! By the time we realized they closed the door and wouldn't let us off... So we stayed on and got off at the next stop. Luckily, no one caught us. =D Fancy this train is, isn't it? This train was supposed to have cut our travel time, but I'm not 100% sure. 

So after another transit (because of the wrong train), we finally got off at Brussel-Centraal (Bruxelles-Central) station. September is design month in Brussels, so I was greeted by an array of colours that represent the exhibit as soon as I exited the station.


I'm lacking a macro shot of the Grand Place! I only have photos of the buildings...

After strolling around a little, we decided to stop for a lunch! By chance we strolled into a restaurant that's listed in the Brussels restaurant listings or something? That's what the owner said in his broken English. Anyway, the son was super nice. When we ordered our Belgian Fries, he asked whether or not we wanted sauce (costs extra, but no matter). So we asked him what's the traditional Belgian choice, and he (perhaps because he can't speak much English) let us try the sauce! Stunningly delicious tartar sauce on equally mouthwatering fries. Heavenly.

But how can you forget about chocolates in Belgium? That would nearly be cardinal sin!


Before we left town centre, we got some Belgian waffles! How could you not have the 3 famous things will in Brussels, right? Fresh cream (you can really taste how fresh the cream is) with kiwi was my choice, my friend picked strawberry and chocolate. They got everything from the waffle to the kiwi down pat.


Taking a relaxing stroll through Parc de Bruxelles.

We left town centre by foot in search for Parc du Cinquantenaire, which according to Google Map, took about half an hour by foot. I didn't look at the clock, so I don't know, but there were lots of things to see on the way. I'm glad to have been on my own two feet. Lots of EU office buildings too!
At the fountain inside the park, we sat down to enjoy a macaroon from Paul's. The chocolate one was gooooood. It wasn't too sweet, but had the wonderful fragrance found in good chocolate. Francophones and their food, I just don't understand.
We ended our day by getting our friend a farewell gift from the famous chocolatier neuhaus. Belgian chocolate all around~ Got home at 10 and was ready to fall to bed. fishii needs sleep...





By fishii with 4 comments

4 comments:

omgaaaaad SO MUCH FUUUD! Take me to belgium!

omg, you make me want hot chocolate SO bad! Actually, they have it here. I just can't be bothered to go and get some. Plus I'm cheap.

Yumm.... Belgium chocolate.....

Post a Comment