Thursday, November 4, 2010

Luxembourg

This was the first time I've embarked on a journey to a foreign land all on my own. I've spent time in foreign places myself, but someone was always there to accompany me on the outbound journey. This time, I was accompanied by coffee from my favourite café from Maastricht, a coffeelovers frappé.



After 3.5 hours and a few train transfers, I arrived in Luxembourg.

The sign boards at Luxembourg Station.

The city feels like a place that you just have to experience for yourself. For me it was ultimately relaxing with too many options to explore for just a weekend. For others, it was a bore. Luxembourg city was filled with enchanting landscapes with many valleys and plateaus, and many layers at almost any given point of my path. It was somewhat like a maze to me, I never really knew which level to take.

On the plateau at Rue de Prague

Somehow, I just feel that photos fail to capture the magnificence of the landscape. I was once again wandering around the city with few destinations in mind, just soaking up the quiet atmosphere of Luxembourg and relaxing before exams started.

One of the destinations was a town about 30 - 45 minutes away from Luxembourg called Vianden. The tourist attraction of Vianden is a castle at the top of a hill. The scenery from the top of the chair lift was very attractive, though I wouldn't agree with wikiTravel about the impossibly picturesque part.



When I got off the bus at Vianden, a group of 4 older working adults approached me and asked whether if I would like to join their group for the day. They said they noticed that I was on my own and that they didn't like travelling without companions. I thought it would be fun to hang out with someone from a totally different background for the day and agreed to join. Even more lucky was the fact that they had an admission pass to everything for 5 people, so I got into everything free that day!

Back in Luxembourg at Casemates Bock

This is the fortification of the Luxembourg city to defend themselves against the numerous takeovers and rebellions that happened during the course of history. From the Germans to the French, then the Germans again... I can't even remember how many times these wars happened. It sort of looks like a cave inside the wall, and some areas of the wall extend very far down.


I feel like I haven't done a very good job in depicting what I experienced in Luxembourg. It was difficult to select photos that could tell the story, so perhaps if I get a chance, I'll tell you about it in person. I still wish I had time to visit Remich and Schengen, it would've been fun. Finally, I'll leave you with a photo of the Luxembourg downtown area at night and a wonderful lunch I had on my last day in Luxembourg.

Street lights reflecting off the pavement after a brief shower.

Salmon and swordfish, with super tasty potatoes and salad.

Next are the tiny towns of Germany, Monschau and Gemund!

By fishii with 1 comment

1 comments:

Sounds like a town with deep history and atmosphere of peace... A great place for retreat and reflection.

Post a Comment