Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Hells of Japan

Though unfortunately, the hells of Japan may be further up in the North Eastern region at the moment. Yes, you just heard the sound of heartbreak.


Anyway, so I'm now travelling way back in time to mid August of 2010. For those who don't know, this was my 4th visit to Japan in 5 years, and no, I never seem to get tired of it because each Japanese city presents an entirely different charm to seduce you into returning. That, and delicious food. 


But I've already posted about food extensively here, so I'm not going to repeat myself... too much. 


Probably somewhere in Oita while the train speeds by


I swear, the Japanese countryside has some of the most mesmerising views. I love looking out the window while the fields and "toy houses" pass me by. Rooftops are often adorned by the same type of tiles, I guess that's why they give off that distinctively Japanese feeling. 


Sooooo big


Beppu is an expensive place to stay, and we were too late to try and book a minshuku  (民宿). My English is failing me again, stupid Japanese. We got this place at about $120 a night, which I guess was reasonable considering the gorgeous view and location.


The sea! THE SEA!!!

Look at all those yachts.


I love looking at the sea, I realised, and it always brought it such comfortable breezes at night. I don't have that many photos of this town, but it was littered with hot springs of all kinds. You have the common ones where it's a stone-lined pool of sorts, there was a sand bath where you get buried in sand (you get a special bath robe called yukata for that). Health benefits are probably debatable (the Japanese claim near miraculous things with them), but the sheer comfort isn't. There needs to be more hot springs here.


Just some residential area near one of the springs we visited.

The two of us decided not to visit the 7 Hells of Beppu (little brother insisted that no geysers are going to beat the ones at Yellowstone National Park). So nothing to show there. One day, though, we'll return to this beautiful southern island of Japan and I may insist on going just to try the Hell Eggs (they're supposed to be steamed to perfection).


Toyo tsune.


Remember how I mentioned that Toyo tsune is really busy ? You probably don't because it's been months since I posted about it I just wanted a photo to show for it. 

By fishii with 1 comment

1 comments:

I simply pray that the country will be recovered from all the disasters, and look just as beautiful as your pictures showed.

Post a Comment