Saturday, August 20, 2011

San Francisco Food

My three stars of San Francisco food, like how three stars are named after each hockey game. Keep in mind that there are many other restaurants in San Francisco that offer delicious food.

Pizzeria Delfina (Mission)

stringy cheesy pizza from Delfina

Delicious thin crust pizzas the way I had them in Italy. The cheese had the perfect gooey texture, the flavours were in great harmony. Thoroughly enjoyable fare! I also had the Brodo with asparagus, rice, egg, and parmagiano. It does look like the menu changes regularly (with the season, presumably), naturally the offerings will differ with each visit. Arrive early, or the line does get long! We got in at about 1730, just before the rush. It's worth the wait, but why wait if you can avoid it? Register on the chalkboard at the entrance to be seated!
 
Blue Bottle Café (Various, including SoMa)










Locally sourced goodness. I don't want to get into the local vs global debate, but I do think there are pros and cons to both sides. The pro for locally sourced food is that Blue Bottle Café serves amazingly delicious breakfast. I liked the steel cut oats and waffle a great deal, just look at the fine icing sugar that topped the waffle. Delactable. That said, I wasn't completely a fan of the cinnamon toast (I'm not used to really crisply toasted bread).


They offer a small selection of caffinated drinks, including two types of iced coffee. The coffee was fragrant, but just a touch strong for my taste. I'm not really a huge coffee drinker, but I do like sweet drinks. I ended up opting for hot cocoa; no better way to start the day! Bumhead liked the coffee, though

Muracci's Japanese Curry & Grill (Financial District)


sooooo crispy and moist.

I think Katsu Curry is an art. Your katsu has to be crispy without being overcoated with panko, your curry can't overpower the katsu. On top of that, you can't let your katsu sit too long lest it become soggy (this is all written by fish-ii who has no training whatsoever in cooking katsu). That's why this one definitely takes the prize. I'll let your tastebuds do the talking, because my words simply won't do it justice. They also offer different types of curry (vegetarian version available), and options for rice (brown and white). You can also choose the level of spiciness. I was blown away.



veggie curry with brown rice

The downside is that the store is ridiculously warm, so it wasn't the best setting to enjoy the food. One more thing to note is their short operating hours, perhaps due to its location in the Financial District. They only open until 6 on certain days, so if you're not going for lunch, you're in for an early dinner.

The San Francisco series will conclude with one last post on Marin Headlands and Sausalito. Stay tuned!

By fishii with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment